Spring is here! With it comes severe weather and lots of heavy rain. Springtime weather in Joplin is unpredictable, to say the least. Severe downpours and flash flooding are frequent occurrences. Fortunately, knowing how to drive in the rain can help keep you safe from a car accident.
Tips for Preventing Car Accidents when Driving in the Rain:
- Slow Down! Rain decreases your visibility. This leads to a worse reaction time. Slowing your speed will give you a better chance to avoid a collision. The rain also makes road slick and harder to stop on. Slowing down will improve your ability to stop on a wet, slick road.
- Back Off! Keep more distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. The rains makes it much harder to stop, so give yourself a good amount of buffer space.
- Don’t Drive on Worn Out Tires. Heavy rains create deep puddles on the road. When you car hits one of these puddles, it can hydroplane. A hydroplane will make you car uncontrollable. The less tread you have on your tires, the more likely your car is to hydroplane. Hydroplaning is a major cause of car accidents in wet weather.
- Turn Your Headlights On. Not all cars have daytime running lights. Whenever your wipers are on, your headlights should be on too. Having your headlights on will make your car more visible to other drivers. Remember the rain impairs the vision of all the other drivers on the road. Make yourself easier to see by turning on your headlights.
- Replace Your Windshield Wipers. The ice and cold temperatures of winter wreak havoc on the delicate rubber on your wiper blades. A great way to prevent a car accident is to replace your wipers every spring. Do this before the Spring rains start. March 1 is a great time to replace your wiper blades.
- Pull Over if Necessary. Don’t be scared to find a safe place to pull over if torrential rains make it too dangerous to drive. Most of the time, torrential rains will pass within a few minutes, and you can resume your trip.
At Austin Bradley Law Office, we represent victims of car accidents everyday. If you have been involved in a car accident, please give us a call at (417) 385-1338. You can also contact us through our website by clicking here. Your first consultation is always free.